As I detailed in my previous post about cutting recurring expenses, one of the fastest ways to reduce the amount of money that you are spending each month is to find subscriptions that you are paying for and get rid of them. Since I wrote that post, I’ve had a few people tell me that they have had trouble trying to cancel Spotify Premium, so I thought I would write a quick post about how to complete the process of saving money by no longer paying for Spotify Premium. There are two ways go about canceling this. The first way to cancel is to go through the Spotify website and the second (which actually works for all apps that you subscribed to through iTunes) is to complete the cancellation through Apple iTunes. Details of both are below.
How to cancel Spotify Premium with their website
How to cancel Spotify Premium via iTunes
If you subscribed through the iPhone or iPad app, you will have to cancel through iTunes as opposed to canceling through the mobile or desktop app because Apple is actually handling your subscription as opposed to Spotify. You can do this by following these steps:
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the settings application.
- Open the iTunes App Store option from the list.
- Tap on your Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- Click View Apple ID from the menu.
- You will be asked to enter your password, then click OK.
- Click on Manage under subscriptions.
- Choose the name of the subscription from the list that you want to cancel (in this case, it would be Spotify, but you can do this for other subscriptions that may be costing you money as well).
- Switch the Auto-Renewal option to Off.
After you complete these steps, you will be paying through the remainder of the current pay period, then you will no longer be billed. Congratulations! You have just canceled Spotify Premium and saved yourself some money each month.
If the two options above do not work for you, you can get assistance with canceling your Spotify subscription by contacting Spotify support at support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/ and they should email you back within a couple of days. If you want to go the more modern route, you can also tweet at them @SpotifyCares.
The steps above should help you to cancel Spotify Premium, or other apps that you are paying for each month and want to save money on. If you have any other helpful tips, feel free to leave them in the comments for your fellow stealthy and wealthy friends.